Ohhh Valentine's Day... The international holiday of love. While you're spending your day (and hopefully night) eating chocolate and sipping on fine wine with your loved ones, we'd like to take this opportunity to remind you just how much you love.... architecture ;)
Regardless of your relationship status, one thing that unites us all is our love for making the world a better place through design. At ArchDaily, we realize how important tolerance, acceptance, and love are to the process of building a better world.
With over 450 submissions (including a card called ARCHItinder that shows what Mies' and FLW's tinder would look like today), we present to you the best architecture-themed Valentine's Day cards. From us to you, may you feel a wealth of love on this special day.
After the dissolution of the Bauhaus due to Nazi political pressure in April 1933, the ideas, teachings, and philosophies of the school were flung across the world as former students and faculty dispersed in the face of impending war. Of the numerous creative talents associated with the Bauhaus, many went on to notable careers elsewhere. Some made a living as artists or practitioners, others either continued or began careers as teachers themselves - and many did both throughout the course of their lives.
Despite knowing it was coming for me, I decided to post one of my recent sketches to Instagram and Facebook … and I was murdered. For 95% of those folks doing the murdering, their intentions were honest and well intended. For the other 5%, … I won’t say what I want to say.
For those of you who don’t participate follow me on Instagram or Facebook, I’ll give you a little taste of what I mean – but I’m going to use a slightly different example so that we can find some common ground in how we take things. Once you’ve had a chance to read through it, you can come to your own conclusions about that other 5%.
Make sure you don’t have any sharp instruments within reach or you might intentionally stab yourself in the face.
Pretend that this next picture was what I shared with everybody.
In many parts of the world, more women have architectural degrees than men. However, this fact hasn’t translated past university into the working world as women continue to be underrepresented across nearly all levels of practice.
The conversation regarding women in architecture gained tremendous traction back in 2013 with the petition for Denise Scott Brown to be recognized as the 1991 Pritzker Prize winner, alongside her husband and the consequent rejection of that request by Pritzker. The Architectural Review and Architect's Journal have, since 2015, jointly presented awards to the exceptional female practitioners as part of their Women in Architecture Awards program. The swelling of these movements have helped to promote not only the role but also the recognition of women in architecture.
The UK's new Holocaust Memorial by Adjaye Associates and Ron Arad Architects is facing criticism for the location of the project from local residents and the Royal Parks. An application for the memorial and learning center is being considered by Westminster City Council, and a petition calling for the protection of the green space is already signed by more than 11,000 members of the public. Planned for Victoria Tower Gardens alongside the River Thames close to the Houses of Parliament, the project is made to be dedicated to the 6 million Jewish men, women and children and other victims murdered by the Nazis.
Structural timber is in the midst of a renaissance; an ironic trend given that timber is arguably the most ancient of building materials. But new innovations in structural timber design have inspired a range of boundary-pushing plans for the age-old material, including everything from bridges to skyscrapers. Even more crucially, these designs are on the path to realization, acceding to building codes that many (mistakenly) view as restrictive to the point of impossibility.
The timber structures of today aren't just breaking records - they're doing it without breaking the rules.
- Architects: Pedra Silva Arquitectos
- Location: Praça Duque de Saldanha, 1050-094 Lisboa, Portugal
- Category: Offices Interiors
- Architect In Charge: Luís Pedra Silva
- Team: Luís Pedra Silva, Ricardo Conceicao, Irene Cunha, Hugo Ramos, Dina Castro, Luís Higino, Bernardo Nadais, Joana Anjos, Ines Andrade, André Matos e Emilia Papapetrou
- Client: OLX Group
- Area: 4500.0 m2
- Project Year: 2018
- Photographs: do mal o menos
- Architects: Carlos Arroyo
- Location: 151 Rue d'Oran, 59100 Roubaix, France
- Category: Adaptive reuse
- Architects In Charge: Carlos Arroyo, Hendrik Verlinden, Vanessa Cerezo, David Jiménez
- Local Partner Architect: EKOA, Olivier Jost
- Area: 700.0 m2
- Project Year: 2016
- Photographs: Imagen Subliminal